Editor’s Note: Tanya is back to share with us some apps that can help you save money on Black Friday and throughout the holiday season.
I grew up in Minnesota, so it always amused me to see people on TV shivering outside their favorite stores, so they could be first in line to snatch whatever doorbuster enticed them to brave the frigid temperatures. Meanwhile, I sipped hot chocolate and helped my Mom decorate for Christmas instead. Granted, I lived in a small town where Black Friday wasn’t a huge event because we didn’t have many major retailers. Even when I moved to Minneapolis, the cold kept me indoors, but when I eventually moved to LA, I decided to experience Black Friday up close and personal.
I quickly realized that I am more of a Cyber Monday kind of gal. But there were definitely people having the time of their life and waved their receipts like badges of honor. They proudly shared their tales of racing all over the city to find the best prices. It sounded exhausting to me! The good news is with the help of a few apps, you can significantly reduce the amount of time you spend running from store-to-store in search of the best price and deal. All the apps are free and there are no affiliate links.
Black Friday Apps
These two apps are considered the must-have Black Friday apps.
TGI Friday Black App
This is one robust app and it’s jam packed with the features every Black Friday shopper wants, including:
- View Black Friday ads for all major retail stores, with frequent updates.
- Download PDF Black Friday Ad Scans
- Search thousands of Black Friday deals across stores and categories.
- Create a personal shopping list to check off items as you purchase them on Black Friday.
- Compare prices for items to confirm you are getting the best deal on Black Friday.
- Shop online for items that may be available before Black Friday.
Black Friday by Fat Wallet
What I love about this app is that it organizes information into Black Friday Ads and Black Friday Deals. You pick how you want to search and they find the deals, which saves you valuable time. Other features include:
- Browse 100+ interactive major store ads page by page, with product/price details product
- View Black Friday store opening times so you don’t miss out when the doors open
- Search the best in-store and online deals at 1,700+ stores
- View hot deals from top online stores
- Get alerts when new ad scans leak from your favorite stores
- Save deals to Wish Lists for quick in-store reference
- Share deals via email or text with friends and family
Great Coupon Apps
I’ve never been very good at cutting coupons. It’s cumbersome and I can never find the coupon I need. Not to mention that I am notorious for leaving them at home on my kitchen table too. These apps remove all my complaints and make it easy for me to save a little extra money on the things I plan to buy, whether they are Christmas presents or groceries.
Retail Me Not
The RetailMeNot Coupons app makes it easy to save in store with thousands of coupons at the places you love to shop. You don’t have to worry about printing coupons or accidentally leaving them at home. Now you can access them anytime and any place. Features include:
- Search for deals and coupons from over 50,000 retailers.
- Enjoy exclusive food offers at thousands of nationwide and local restaurants.
- Check out Our Best offers, view deals Just For You or see Popular coupons
This app lets you search for coupons via store, product or your GPS location. Just show the offer at checkout for a scanning and receive your discount. Features include:
- No cutting, clipping or printing is ever necessary.
- Use GPS to find coupons for local stores and restaurants in your area.
- Save your favorite stores and easily share deals via Facebook, Twitter, text and email.
- Sort coupons by categories like clothing, shoes, department stores and electronics.
Price Comparison Apps
Comparison shopping has never been easier, thanks to these apps. I love a good deal as much as anyone, but nothing annoys me more then to find out I overpaid. These apps can help find the best prices on Black Friday and every time you shop.
Red Laser helps you find the best prices, coupons, and deals for all your favorite products and stores, online and locally. Features include:
- Scan all major retail barcodes (including UPC and QR codes)
- Search our database of millions of products, stores, and deals
- Compare prices and find the best deals and coupons for thousands of online and local retailers
- When in a store, get everything you need to shop and save at your fingertips – hours, store maps, coupons, deals, weekly circulars, and more
- Read product reviews and nutritional info to help you make the right decision
- Securely back up your history, loyalty cards and favorites in your RedLaser account
- Create QR codes from contact info, URLs, a location, and more with our powerful QR code engine
Amazon Price Check
This app allows you to compare the prices you find in stores against the price at Amazon by using Flow, scanning a barcode, or typing your search.
Walmart Savings Catcher
This app helps reimburse you the difference in cost if there is a lower price in your area on the items you bought. If you are a regular Walmart shopper, I would definitely recommend this app year-round. Here’s how it works:
- Scan your store receipt using the Walmart app.
- Savings Catcher compares the prices of eligible items on your receipt against the advertised deals offered by top competitors in your area.
- If a lower advertised price is found, Walmart refunds the difference on a Walmart Rewards eGift Card.
A Final Word of Caution: Don’t Get Carried Away
One of Shannon’s tips to Black Friday Saving Success was to take advantage of email alerts now and unsubscribe after the holidays. The same holds true with these apps, especially if you are prone, like me, to shopping. If frequent push notifications on great deals is too much of a temptation for you, then delete these apps and free up room on your devices after the holidays. You can also download them again next holiday season.
I hope these apps help you stretch your budget and save money this holiday season. You will find me in my pajamas on Black Friday, giggling over the fact that Californians pretty much dress as warmly as Minnesotans do to stand in line for door busters on Black Friday. #wimps.
What apps do you use to save money during the holidays or throughout the year?